Expanding agricultural land use and production is critical to creating new job opportunities and providing equal access to locally produced food and products for our diverse and growing community. We have partnered with the City of Whittlesea to develop a mixed farming enterprise which will provide food for distribution into the local emergency relief network and volunteering, education and employment opportunities in best practice sustainable agriculture systems for peri-urban areas.
Our vision for the project is to create a vibrant food hub that provides a place for the community to connect, learn and prosper.
The Wollert Community Farm Collective is an integrated model that combines local food and farming, food distribution, sustainable resource use, agricultural education and capability building. Once operational, the collective will:
- Provide pathways from hardship to opportunity and employment.
- Improve health and wellbeing through access to nutrition and community engagement
- Demonstrate leading practice in circular economy and sustainable peri-urban agriculture
- Attract inclusive investment to the agribusiness sector and local business in the region
- Be the leading education and training facility for the food and fibre industry in Melbourne
- Protect and restore ecological, cultural and natural heritage