Department of Health and Human Services – Housing VIC

DHS Office of Housing offers multiple services and provision of information about housing. This includes assistance with bond loans, applications for public housing, crisis and emergency accommodation, community housing information, supported accommodation information, advice, movable units, Home Options finder, home ownership and private rental information.


•  Phone: 1300 664 977

Services Australia – Centrelink

Services Australia – Centrelink provides rent assistance support to people who are on low incomes. For further information, eligibility and to make a claim you can call the Families line or visit the below web page.


Tenants Victoria

TV is a service that informs and educates tenants about their housing rights, aims to improve conditions for tenants, and they represent the collective interests of tenants in law and policy making. They provide advice, assistance, and advocacy for a range of tenants. This includes tenants of private and public residential properties, rooming houses, and caravan parks.


• Phone: 1800 068 860

Tenancy Assistance & Advocacy program (TAAP)

TAAP assists Victorian tenants who are having issues with a private tenancy agreement, to avoid becoming homeless. They provide information and referral to other services, negotiation with landlords or real estate agents, and assistance in preparing for and attending hearings at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

• TAAP North Eastern Melbourne Phone: 1800 002 992

Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

VCAT hears and determines various civil disputes, including residential tenancy disputes. The Residential Tenancies List can hear disputes that include tenant versus landlord, landlord versus tenant, rooming house owner versus rooming house resident and Director of Housing versus Tenant. Issues such as unpaid rent, bond returns, repairs, maintenance, damage or changes to property, pets and renting, excessive rent increases and termination and possession order can be heard through VCAT.

• Phone: 1300 018 228

Haven Home Safe (HHS) – Preston

HHS Preston office is the housing agency for the City of Whittlesea. They provide a variety of housing services and support programs for clients who are homeless or at risk of homelessness, including housing workers and brokerage funding to support people to access private rental properties. HHS may also be able to assist with rental arrears and money to start a tenancy.


•  Phone: (03) 9479 0700